After the typhoon Haiyan has in November 2013 destroyed large areas on the Philippines, the Biltema Foundation has donated € 400’000 to the Scandinavian Children’s Mission (SCM) which is currently engaged in rebuilding and renovating pre – and elementary schools as well as 378 houses in the outskirts of Tacloban (900km southeast of Manila), giving people new homes and hope.
The Tacloban City Administration entered to an agreement with the Scandinavian Children’s Mission on rebuilding and renovating 7 to 8 pre – and elementary schools.
One of the goals has already been achieved. The first of the 8 schools, the Scandinavian Elementary School, has been completed by now. Next steps involve ordering materials such as wood, cement, tiles and hollow blocks. If deliveries are on time the work, which has already begun on four of the eight houses, will progress fast.
The Scandinavian Children’s Mission is covering all the costs for construction material and supervision out of their fund. Therefore the Biltema Foundation offered its support in donating € 400’000 to SCM. Furthermore volunteer workers come along as labourers and the schools use their budget to provide food and at the most, salary if the help of special professionals is required. Where a complete reconstruction of the building is necessary, a contractor will be engaged for it cannot be accomplished by volunteers only. The Mission declares the work to be a long-term project rather than a short-term.
Other things done by the Scandinavian Children’s Mission in Tacloban after the typhoon:
- Distributed hygiene and household articles to 400 families
- Medical Mission with their own medical staff for 700 patients
- Cooperation with a German Medical Relief Agency to treat thousands of patients with German doctors and nurses
- Distributed Food Packs to 3300 families (21 to 24 thousand people)
- Arranged Child Friendly Spaces for a large number of kids
- Provided building materials for 378 houses in the Scandinavian Village and schools which currently are being renovated
The work of the Scandinavian Children’s Mission is ongoing but the needs are almost unlimited. Therefore the Biltema Foundation provides financial support for the restoration of the area around Tacloban, which has been affected by the typhoon Haiyan.